Mark B. Chassman
Partner, based in Los Angeles
Telephone: (310) 929-7633
Mark B. Chassman is an experienced litigation and trial lawyer who practices in the areas of complex business, commercial, and employment litigation in Federal and State courts. Mr. Chassman has extensive litigation experience in corporate, real estate, construction, products liability, contracts, employment, and general commercial litigation. On behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, Mr. Chassman has tried in excess of 60 jury and court trials. In addition, he has tried numerous cases in arbitrations.
Mr. Chassman is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an organization in which eligibility for membership requires completion of a prescribed number of jury trials, the display of skill, civility, and integrity, and the nomination and election by the existing members, which include some of the best trial lawyers in America.
Mr. Chassman has been selected as a Fellow to The Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society in which membership is limited to less than one-half of one-percent of American lawyers. Fellows are selected and invited into Fellowship after being evaluated for effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation and trial work, along with ethical reputation.
Named in Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine in Business Litigation/Employment & Labor/General Litigation.
Mr. Chassman is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum by acting as the principal counsel in multiple cases in which his verdicts have exceeded two million dollars.
In 1982, Mr. Chassman graduated cum laude with a B.S. degree in Business Administration with special emphasis in finance and real estate from California State University, Northridge. He received his J.D. degree from Loyola Law School in 1985. Mr. Chassman has been admitted to the California Bar and all of the United States District Courts in California since 1985. Mr. Chassman is admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia and in the State of New York.
Prior to September 1993, Mr. Chassman was associated with the construction law firm of Monteleone & McCrory and the New York City law firms of Phillips, Nizer, Benjamin, Krim & Ballon and Rogers & Wells (now Clifford Chance). While associated with these international law firms, Mr. Chassman gained extensive business litigation and trial experience in Federal and State courts, principally on behalf of Fortune 500 companies.
For over 2 years, Mr. Chassman was a Deputy Public Defender. In September 1993, Mr. Chassman opened his own law firm and his practice has continued to focus on complex business litigation and trial work.
Mr. Chassman authored an article entitled "Termination for Convenience - Costs Recoverable" published in The Construction Lawyer, Issue 7:3 at 3 (August 1987) He has two published appellate decisions. The first was in the matter of Brinderson-Newberg Joint Venture, et al. v. Pacific Erectors, Inc., 690 F.Supp. 891 (C.D. CA 1988). The second was a California Court of Appeal (Second District) decision affirming the denial of an award of attorneys' fees in a Proposition 65 case [Consumer Cause, Inc. v . Mrs. Gooch's Natural Food Markets, Inc.,et al. (2005) 127 Cal.App.4th 387.]
Non-Resident Partner, based in New York City
Phone: (212) 655-3555
Mark Seelig is an experienced business lawyer and was named in Super Lawyers Magazine as being in the top 5% of business lawyers in Manhattan in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He is admitted to practice in New York and California. Mark represents a wide variety of clients located throughout the United States in all aspects of commercial business transactions, from formation and financing through the acquisition, growth, merger or sale of their business interests. He has represented purchasers, sellers, joint venture partners, investors, and majority and minority interest shareholders in numerous transactions since 1989.
Mark's practice includes providing general corporate counsel to a host of companies across multiple industries. He represents both public and private companies, entertainers, entrepreneurs, restaurateurs, investors and high net worth individuals. Like his clients, Mark is a business owner and operator. He co-founded MSF where he acts as the managing partner, founded and acts as the managing partner of a large nine figure real estate business, plus a private equity fund, and owns interests in numerous business ventures. Clients appreciate the real life practical and pragmatic approach he brings to their issues. With over 23 years of a unique blend of both litigation and corporate legal experience, Mark excels in representing principals during difficult negotiations. Clients often recognize him for his ability to drive a difficult negotiation to a successful conclusion.
Mark also has extensive experience representing new media and technology clients. He has personally negotiated over 400 software development, licensing and/or distribution deals. Since 1989, he has represented technology companies in connection with many of the legal issues related to their businesses. He regularly assists business owners in the preparation and implementation of estate plans.
• Represented owners in sale of media and online advertising business
• Represented owners in sale of interest in pharmaceutical promotion business
• Represented general partners in formation of several real estate private equity funds
• Represented owners in sale of educational software company for over $200,000,000 • Represented owners in sale of music library
• Represented owner in sale of media/online promotional company
• Represented owners as co-counsel in sale of technology communications company • Requested sponsors of real estate private equity funds
• Represented owners in sale of financial services company to public company acquirer for over $200,000,000
• Represented world renowned author in multiyear master license and development deal for multimedia, videogames and online media properties
• Represented 40% owner in sale to majority partner of entire interest in international pharmaceutical clinical trials company
• Represented CEO and founder in sale of drug label company to public acquirer for over $100,000,000
• Represented numerous videogame and multimedia companies in numerous licensing and development deals, including the development of a television series to coincide with launch of licensed properties
• Represented fast growing education software company in preferred round of finance for nearly $20,000,000; represented financial, media and other software companies in numerous acquisitions and rounds of finance between $1,000,000 and $20,000,000 • Represented purchaser in distress sale of $11,000,000 of secured bank debt against company in the metals industry
• Represented joint venture partners in negotiation of venture deal for acquisition of over $100,000,000 in residential and commercial real estate
• Represented athletes and entertainers in videogame and license deals for numerous consumer products
• Represented multimedia company in angel round financing in excess of $25,000,000 • Represented investors in numerous restaurant deals
• Represented numerous videogame developers in contract negotiations for development of software titles, license agreements, financings, technology license agreements, and the sale of business interests
• Represented entrepreneurs and entertainers in the creation and development of estate plans • Represented long time business partners in various corporate divorce/dissolution issues.
In 1986, Mr. Seelig graduated from Fordham University and in 1989 received his JD from Hofstra University School of Law, where he served as an Editor of the Law Review and was elected to present the Graduation Address on behalf of the graduating class. He was formerly associated with the international law firm of Rogers & Wells (now Clifford Chance) in New York and California. Mr. Seelig is admitted to practice in New York and California, and is a name partner in the Los Angeles based law firm of Chassman & Seelig, LLP. He is a founding partner of Meister Seelig & Fein, LLP, the firm's managing partner and a member of the Firm's executive committee.
In addition to MSF, Mark is an active investor and owner in numerous business ventures. Mark is involved in charitable ventures and regularly donates his time and resources to worthwhile causes. He lives in Westchester, New York with his wife, Valerie, and their three daughters.
Phone: (310) 929-7632
Ana Vásquez is an experienced litigation attorney who practices in the areas of business, employment, real estate, construction, products liability, and other commercial litigation.
Ms. Vásquez received her B.A. degree from the University of California at Irvine in 1995 and her J.D. degree from the University of Illinois in 1999. Ms. Vásquez is fluent in Spanish.
Ms. Vásquez is a member of the California Bar.